Search This Blog

Monday, February 6, 2012

Kicking Knowledge?




















Equally puzzled was I when I first learned of the title of Wiz Khalifa's forthcoming project, Only.N*gga.In.First.Class With an increasing demand for distinguishingly creatively as it concerns releases, and branding, I thought that this was just another ploy to seperate himself and build on the brand, cult like following he has already established since Black and Yellow. However it has been explained to me, from the horses mouth, no less that the meaning behind the choice of title, the project in its entirety is a little more complexed.

Have you ever felt like a fish out of water heading towards first class? Not merely first class, if you have ever been the victim of that awkward moment that accompanies the silence of people staring when you walked into a room where it is perceived that you should not be- this album is for you. On Shade 45s "Sway in the Morning" show, Wiz had this to say:

"The title takes a page from Mobb Deep member Prodigy’s 2000 debut Head Ni**a in Charge. It’s inspired by Prodigy’s H.N.I.C., when he dropped that, I felt like that sounded so strong.”

Going on to explain that O.N.I.F.C. also speaks to the more serious issue of racism he’s encountered while traveling through airports:

“I was just talking about me being a young rich dude and being black. It looks crazy to them when I walk up to them and show them my ticket or I’m going in priority seating, They’re like, ‘You’re sure?’”

With respect to the adversities of being a young black star, who is very rich, Wiz had this to say:

“It’s a good feeling and then it’s like a bad feeling because it’s like, ‘Damn, why do you feel like that about me”

Will these type of occurences fully subside? Probably not, but the key to it in my eyes is to embrace and let it motivate. The more prevalent it comes for us to be in these places, experiencing said lifestyle, the more familiarity there will be. At the end of the day, care not if it is accepted, make it happen! I applaud the brother Wiz for being insightful and having substance behind his music. You may think its all scented appearances, but with this right here he is showing you that it is more than meets the eye.

Pick up O.N.I.F.C when it drops, and experience the life.

No comments:

Post a Comment