Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Basquiats Mind Presents......Young Dougie






















Time and time again you hear about the death of hip hop, the declination of music in general. Although some people's opinions are valid, you cannot ignore the fact that Music in all genres is here to stay. It is still at the pulse of culture, and ever-expanding. Through up and coming acts, and overall visionary approaches by musicians and artists alike. As a fan, I can say that my hope has been restored and I look forward to the future.

The future being the next crop of artists ready to cement their place amongst the previously acclaimed. One person who is doing so is Young Dougie. The Poughkeepsie MC has been at it for a while perfecting not only his craft and delivery but his business savvy. A continuous grind and hit records is his focus, on the way to making it as he calls it "Youngs World." I caught up with Young Dougie recently after his performance at Monse's Showcase @3 the Milk Lounge in Harlem . We kicked it about a lot of things, his caribbean background and the influence of the culture on his artistry, his goals in music and the business itself.

Wise beyond his years to say the least, Young Dougie is definitely primed and ready for the spotlight, and I am convinced as well as you will be that he will sustain- one hit at a time. Without further adue, I present....Komrade Entertainments Own- Young Dougie:




1. How have you found a way to incorporate your Belizean culture into your music?

I have done so by utilizing the styles and visuals of legendary artist like BobMarley and Beres Hammond. Their melody was ill, more monodic, more alive;something that i fell in love with and naturally it became a part of my artistic swagg.

2. How do you tackle the elements of the flashing lights of NYC in your music?
I jus look at the reality of things now. Just like this industry or any industry for that matter, the fact is that everything that glitters is not gold; I am inspired by it all, it's dope, it's cool to entertain but at the end of the day i keep in mind it's just flashing lights, it isn't what defines me as a person. I create my own shine, and remain humbled by the love.

3. Whats the science behind Komrad Entertainment?
Komrad…hmmm, simply put, we're family period! We've always been Brother's before business. True Komraderie is so difficult to come by now a days, so when it's encountered amongst real dudes you embrace it wholeheartedly. All we got is us, and we keep that in the front of our mind..FAMILY.)

4. Who were some of your influences in music?
To be honest its too many to mention. I Love lyrics so with that said I would have to narrow it down to the Legends. Artists ike Nas, Pac,big, Jay Z, Rick James, Marvin Gaye, and Smokey Robinson, The greats, people who have laid the blueprint for artistry. We dont have all day but I could go on and on about influences.


5. What's the process for you of creating a track? Do you listen to the beat first or Come up wit a concept then apply a beat to that?
I kind of got an interesting strategy, check it out: while the producer is making the beat or pulling up the track I roll up; After that I dim the lights,or turn them off. Once that banging beat put on repeat, I start to zoning then bomb! Music is natural for me brother, I love it and the process of song making just comes to me.


6. What artists and producers have you worked with thus far?
I have worked with a number of noteworthy artists. To name a few: The L.O.X. as well as King Phaze. In terms of Producers,I have worked with some heavy hitters like Flash Beats from Germany, and the brother Telivision from PK. Also I cant forget Hiden Beats from Tokyo.

7. When did you realize that music was your calling?
I have always had a unique love for it but honestly I didn't realize it was my calling until everything else fell through and it was decision making time. That had to be about my senior year of High School.


8. Where have you performed and what other publications have you been featured in?

I've performed @ Club La Hacienda in Newburgh NY; I have performed @ the Milk Lounge in
Manhattan as a part of Hot 97's Monse Showcase; Club Ciboneys in Poughkeepsie, NY; The Loft in Poughkeepsie NY, Club Pyramid in Manhattan NY, End of the Week, Training Camp in Manhattan NY. We're just grinding man at the end of the day. Still moving still locking up shows in. Forthcoming we are looking at collaborationg with "Don Diva magazine"


9. Where can the people get your music? contact you?
They can find me on several outlets:

http://soundcloud.com/youngdougie
http://www.reverbnation.com/dougiesworld
http://www.datpiff.com/Young-Dougie-Back-By-Popular-Demand-mixtape.219804.html



10. Whats up next for Young Dougie?
The future is real bright, It's all coming together as a result of staying focused and working hard. First and foremost I am so thankful to AllAh for my team. Coming up we're getting it in with more appearances, more shows, and expanding the brands: Komrad Entertainment, and Young Dougie through networking and making good music. My mindframe is always progressive.

No comments:

Post a Comment