Search This Blog

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Be Careful What You Ask For

Media, as much as it may be criticized it cannot be avoided.  If by chance you are in the slightest way confused that facebook and twitter, as well as instagram, are not then I am sorry for you!  Now that we have gotten that out of the way, I would like to thank you all for your embrace of this industry which I am so passionate about. Make no mistake that when I titled this, I was warning myself as well.  You see often, there comes a point when I am disgusted by the same outfit which gives me promise, the media.  I was running through the papers today, another form of media, and was stiffled by something.

Before I go any further I would like to extend me condolences and say that my heart goes out to the family of Lloyd Morgan, the 4 year who was gun down during a gun battle in the Bronx over the weekend.  By no means is this editorial a slight at the tragedy, what it is however is a point made about the discretionary usage of media.  Under normal circumstances, which I thought to be standard, minors were not to have their names included.  For the purpose of not being hypocritical, I will not include his either, but is it not owed to the young man accused of being the culprit to have his government name omitted as well.  Understand that I used the cliche "government name." That play on word is what has me at this cross road of baffle. Since they own it, I'm guessing they have the right to the property and its application. Would it play out the same in Gramercy, or chelsea, riverdale, or Kensington? Interesting

The following question that I raise, which is totally adjacent to the circumstances previously mentioned, but of the same nature theoretically: if that landfill which is being propositioned were to be placed in Harlem, East New York, South Jamaica, Stapleton, or Mott Haven would there be such opposition and protest?
These are the things that my mind cannot let go of. As an aspiring media participant, how will I go about the same obligation, biases not withstanding.

2 comments:

  1. I'm not sure where to begin so please excuse me if I ramble lol... Medium is life and like life it conveys the good, the bad and the ugly- which leaves some room for gray areas, I want to touch on two of your examples...
    Social Media, Boy O Boy smh lol. I have seen some people post demeaning, vulgar, prejudice, judgmental and just plan ole ignorant things. I would like to think there was no forethought in those cases because if there were we may not ever see posts like these... Now when it comes to News Media there is no black and white-only gray- which makes everything conditional information. In the case of baby boy's death ( my condolences to Lloyd Morgan's family) the young man being accused- in my opinion- should have had his "government name" printed and yes he may be a minor but he damn sure thought he was grown enought to let of shots in a park full of people, so HELL NO he is NOT owed any discretion (again my opinion)... I do see a problem when media changes the rules for certain demographics and -dare I say- race. I will say this though, a lot of what's going on in the media is the sign of the times but you my dear popcorn must decide WHEN to display the good the bad or the ugly and which audience you want to effect. Your dilemma is a significant one and I support you on your journy but please do; Be Careful, Be Safe, Stay Blessed and Stay Fly <3 - @NakStyles

    ReplyDelete