Search This Blog

Friday, April 22, 2011







“I’m a bad bitch, I’m a cunt/ and I’ll kick that ho... punt/ Force trauma, blunt/ Ya’ll in the back, bitch I’m in the front”

Wow! talk about a bold statement. I know that was a bit vulgar, however these are the words we as women and young girls repeat. Why? Well I’m gonna say it gives some women a sense of power. Power is something women have been struggling with since the beginning of time.


The role women have played and are continuing to contribute to society has been phenomenal. With this success into the workforce, home-life and the social circuit came a wave of independent women who see themselves just as strong if not stronger than men. The term “Pit-bull in a skirt” was something a lot of women adopted especially in hip-hop. Women started to see the attitudes that very successful men displayed and began to follow suit. Most successful men are deemed aggressive, rude, inconsiderate, and careless to feelings of their subordinates. As successful women started to dominate the work-force, this male-like attitude was adopted and the “bitch” was born.


As a small business owner, a lot of my friends have asked me this question with a glimpse of hope in their eyes; ...So are you a bitch at work? I always laugh at first because I can clearly see they want me to say yes. However, it then makes me evaluate the definition of the term Bitch. According to Webster’s Dictionary a bitch is (1) a female dog or fox (2) a woman regarded as bad-tempered and/or malicious. So according to the technical term of the word, I answer no. However the slang definition (as stated in Webster’s as well) of bitch is (1) anything especially difficult (2) to complain. I have to admit that taking to heart the slang definition, at times in my work environment yes I am, considered by others, a bitch. I can make things especially difficult for my staff and yes I will complain until something gets executed properly. Do I neccessarly want to take ownership of the term “bitch?” Absolutely not. I too grew up in the era where if someone were to call a female a bitch they probably got smacked. It was a very offensive term and it was used to demean a woman. Shari B. made a very good argument in her blog post and I too agree with her perspective. She believes that we as women should not embrace the bitch term and being aggressive and successful does not make you a bitch.


I think it is important in our environments today to know the boundaries of our attitudes. Growing up I remember elders in my family repeat “there’s a time and place for everything.” Today I believe that phrase should still apply. Being aggressive, head- strong, and independent is something that should be embraced and shared positively. Part of being a positive role-model to younger girls is in the attitude you display. As confident as we are to display aggression, drive, fearless and being assertive; we need to be just as confident to display love, nurture, and pure kindness to others especially other women. In most work environments there is always an opportunity for a woman in a higher position to execute being head-strong, aggressive and assertive. With that being said in most home and social environments that same opportunity is waiting for a woman to display acts of kindness, nurture, love and respect.


Best Regards,

Zee

No comments:

Post a Comment