Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Homage to my city, to a representative






Every young man wants no more than to walk in their fathers shoes. As an adolescent I used to trod around in my fathers oversized ( for me) Air Forces'. I grew up on basketball, the Patrick Ewings, the Magic Johnsons, the Charles Barkleys of the world. I grew up in New York City- the Rucker Parks, the Milbanks, the Kips Bay's of the hardwood. 875 was a big deal to me (shout out to Douglass Houses and Booker T Washington) I would be remissed if I didnt show a distinct and special gratitude to three gentlemen in particular, that being Kenny Stevens, Chico, and Mr. Carrington. Without them, basketball wouldve never been a dream or mine turned reality. Every now and then I get a chill when the tube is on and fans are rocking, players going hard.

To me basketball and NYC go hand in hand, similar to summertime and white on whites, or July 4th and cook-outs; they are inseperable. As an 80s baby I remember the glory days of when being from New York City meant SOMETHING in BASKETBALL; In recent years the luster may have faded, and Im not here to give you my opinion on the reasons why. What I am here to do is pay homage to my city, the place tha groomed me, challenged me and taught me so much.

As well I would lije to pay homage by doing what it is that we do best- SUPPORT OUR OWN. As you have watched March Madness and the lure, the greatness, the opportunity, the dream; If you werent not already, you have become familiar with a household name- KEMBA WALKER. Bronx, NY's own. Definition of a leader, a warrior, a person you would have no problem going to battle with. He has left his footprint in the sand, and impacted the Connecticut Huskies program, and been the catalyst to a magical run. Everyone who knows him describes his will to win, his heart, his fighting spirit. I admire that.

I was reading in the Daily News today that the magical run almost did not happen, as UCONN was not interested in him to begin with. What did he do? Go harder. If that is not a New York State of Mind then I dont know what is.

No comments:

Post a Comment